The Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at SLVS is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year with a dedicated team of veterinary technicians trained in advanced medical support and able to provide the most comprehensive patient care. All hospitalized patients requiring intensive monitoring and support are placed in our ICU where the ICU technicians work with doctors from all specialty sections to ensure that each patient receives the best care. A doctor is always on site to guide the care of hospitalized pets and provide timely communication with pet owners and the family veterinarian.
Why would your pet benefit from a 24/7 staffed Intensive Care Unit?
Our team of highly trained and compassionate veterinary technicians ensure that patient comfort and well-being is given the utmost priority, that treatments are performed in a timely and efficient manner, and that doctors are informed immediately of changes in the attitude and/or physical status of hospitalized patients.
Inserting a nasotracheal tube in the ICU
Procedures and services available in our ICU include:
- Oxygen support including nebulization respiratory therapy
- Blood, plasma, and albumin transfusion capabilities
- Ventilatory support
- Comprehensive pain management
- Intravenous and enteral nutritional support
- In-house laboratory capabilities for immediate test results
- Heat support (integrated cage floor heat, water blankets, and warm air blankets)
- Equipment, medications and training in Cardiopulmonary Cerebral Resuscitation (CPCR)
- Indirect and direct arterial and central venous blood pressure monitoring equipment
- Advanced monitoring includes ECG, blood pressure, oxygenation, respiratory function, and more
Verifying medication in the ICU
ECG monitoring of a patient